How do I claim compensation after a motorbike accident?

Unfortunately being a small vehicle, motorbikes can sometimes be difficult to see by other road users, putting riders at an increased risk of accidents and serious injury. If you have been injured due to someones careless or negligent driving the solicitors we work with will be happy to help. Call us on 02392 484 244 to find out more.

Is claiming compensation a complicated process?

If the driver of the other vehicle involved has admitted liability, the process should be fairly straightforward.

Your appointed solicitor will assess various factors relating to your injury and pursue a financial compensation settlement that ensures that all your medical needs are provided for.

Don't I have to go through my insurer?

No. We independently help thousands of people every year resolve their compensation claims in addition to providing replacement vehicles and organising repairs.

In fact by using our full claims service from start to finish, you do not have to claim on your own motorbike insurance policy. This means that you do not have to pay the excess on your policy and your premiums should be unaffected.

How much compensation will I receive?

This will obviously depend on the type of injury you have and how it is likely to impact on your life.

For a minor injury, you could be entitled to settlement amounts ranging from several hundred to several thousand pounds. For more serious injuries you could receive tens of thousands of pounds or considerably more if you are left with a permanent disability.

In general your appointed solicitor will consider the following when assessing your claim settlement:

  • The degree of discomfort you suffered at the time of the accident

  • How your injury may affect your life

  • If the injury is likely to lead to a permanent disability

  • Specialist treatments or therapies you may need

  • Costs of medical aids or equipment

  • Personal care costs

  • Costs of accessability modifications to your home

  • Adapted vehicle or mobility aid requirements

  • Loss of earnings due to the injury

Whatever the conequences of your injury, you can be assured that we will endeavour to achieve the best possible compensation settlement for you.

To find out how our service can help following your accident, call us on 02392 484 244 and we will be happy to help.

Any policyholder can use this service, and it is your legal right to choose who repairs your vehicle. All assistance offered and information given on this page is provided by Car Call and its partners , no association or affiliation to any particular insurer is intended in any way, and your statutory rights are unaffected.

No need to claim on your insurance

Anyone who has been involved in a road accident has the right to choose who repairs their vehicle. If you were responsible for the accident you were involved in, the company that insures your vehicle would normally deal with your accident claim.

However if you were not at-fault for the accident, you can choose to either claim on your own insurance policy or make a claim independently of your insurer. To find out more call 02392 484 244 and we will be happy to help.

We and our partners help thousands of people make independent accident claims. Our service enables motorists to get the help and assistance they need to resolve their accident related issues, with the costs being recovered directly from the at-fault driver on your behalf.

No excess to pay

Unfortunately even if an accident was not your fault, your insurer will almost certainly require you to pay your excess before any repair is started on your car.

This money should of course be recovered by an insurer at a later date, but with our service - you do not have to pay it at all.

By using our independent claims service, you are not making a claim on your insurance policy and so you will have no excess to pay.

Receive a comparable replacement hire vehicle

Not all insurance policies will include a replacement hire-car for you to use if yours is damaged and unroadworthy. In fact it is typically an 'optional extra' on your policy.

Other policies may offer a 'courtesy car' but this is often just a 'basic' saloon or hatchback which may not be suitable for your needs.

Car Call and its partners will provide a comparable replacement vehicle as part of our service. This means we will endeavour to supply a hire-vehicle that similar to your own in terms of its type, make and engine size.

So whether you drive a small hatchback or a prestige sports car, we will look to provide a similar hire-vehicle that suits your needs.

Manufacturer approved vehicle repairs

If you have been involved in a car accident, the last thing you want to have to worry about is the quality of the repairs to your car. We have a UK wide network of partner approved Accident Repair Centres available to all of our customers.

Many of our accident repair centres are have manufacturer approvals for specific brands, so if you require a manufacturer approved repair centre, simply tell your personal claim handler and they will ensure your vehicle goes to an approved repairer.

Want you vehicle repaired by a specific garage? No problem, we can alternatively use a repairer that you specify.

Legal Assistance

Our partner solicitors provide legal assistance as part of our service. They specialise in motor claims related issues, so you can be assured of the best possible advice and assistance.

They issues they can assist you with include:

  • Recovery of the cost of the replacement hire-vehicle
  • Recovery of the cost of uplifting your damaged vehicle
  • Recovery of all repair costs
  • Recovery of the cost of damaged of personal items
  • Seeking financial compensation for an injury