Home | About us | Contact us | Join Accident Assist | Enquiry | Broker Products | Body Shop | Dealership | Competition
Privacy Policy | Website Terms and Conditions | Claims management services enquiry | Business Enquiry | Terms and conditions
Copyright © 2018 Car Call UK
Car Call UK
Car Call banner
Motor Accident?

Car insurance and the law

UK law states that anyone who uses a vehicle on a public road must be covered by an adequate insurance policy against third party risks. It is always wise to seek proper legal advice if you intend to use any type of vehicle on a public road in todays litigatious society.

Anyone caught driving a car without insurance could mean anything from a fixed penalty notice of £100 to prosecution and £1000 fine.

Uninsured drivers cost motorists millions of pounds every year adding up to £30 to the cost of every motor insurance policy purchased in the UK. This added cost is used in conjunction with funding from all motor insurers to support the Motor Insurers' Bureau.

The Motor Insurers' Bureau (MIB) is a body funded by all insurers to help motorists receive compensation if they should be unlucky enough to be the victim of an accident with an uninsured driver.

The MIB can also help motorists that have been involved in accidents where the at-fault driver has failed to stop and the vehicle has not been able to be traced.

How do the police detect uninsured drivers?

Many road traffic police vehicles are fitted with a system known as Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR). This system uses a video camera to capture an image of the vehicle number plate and instantly compare the registration against the Motor Insurance Database to see if the vehicle has a current valid insurance policy. If the police suspect that a vehicle is uninsured, they have the power to stop you.

ANPR systems can be used in both mobile and fixed locations.

Do I still need insurance if I don't use my car?

If your vehicle is not being used you must declare this fact by notifying the DVLA using a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) form. If you have not made a SORN declaration and you do not have any insurance for your vehicle you could face a fine, even if the vehicle is not on the road.

I have sold my car to someone else, what do I do?

If you have sold your vehicle you must notify the DVLA that you are no longer the registered keeper of the vehicle as soon as possible.

If you have had a car accident and would like some free help and advice please call us on 02392 484 244 and one of our UK based advisors will be happy to help.
3 Easy Steps
  Free road accident claim enquiry   Tell a friend
Help with your accident