Dual carriageway driving advice

This may sound strange, but it's important to know that just because a road has 2 carriageways does not necessarily mean that it is a 'dual carriageway'.

A dual carriageway is defined as 2 or more lanes in one direction with 2 or more lanes in the opposite direction, and this must be separated by a central reservation. A dual carriageway would also be clearly signposted as such when you approach the point at which the road splits into two lanes.

Dual carriageway slip roads

The same courtesy should be observed on dual carriageway slip roads as on motorway slip-roads. When joining the traffic you should try to join at a speed which is similar to that of the traffic you are joining and only if there is a sufficient gap in the traffic flow for you to do so safely without impeding other drivers. If you cannot do this then you MUST stop and wait until there is a large enough gap to pull into the lane, once again without forcing other vehicles to slow down.

By the same token if you are in the left hand lane of a dual carriageway and you notice that a vehicle is approaching the junction to join your lane, check your mirrors and your blind spot and if it is safe to do so, move into the right hand lane. This allows the approaching vehicle to join the carriageway without slowing down.

Lane protocol

Once again the rules for dual carriageways and motorways are similar in as much as you should spend most of the time in the left hand lane, with the right hand lane being reserved for overtaking or turning right where you are permitted to do so. You must return to the left hand lane when you have completed your overtaking manoeuvre.

On a 3 lane carriageway the 2 extra lanes can both be used for overtaking and once again you should return to the left hand lane when you have completed your manoeuvre. Like on a motorway, you should not be tempted to hog the middle lane as this can cause frustration to those behind you who want to use the lane correctly.

Speed restrictions on dual carriageways

The speed restrictions on dual carriageways will depend on their location and the amount of traffic they have to deal with. Generally in non-urban areas the maximum speed limit is 70mph. This speed restriction may be lower in built up areas, so take observe these variations.

Many people still continue to drive at speeds that are inappropriate for the types of road they are on and for the weather conditions. Always drive within the speed limits of the road you are travelling on and adjust them downwards when weather conditions deteriorate.

Keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front

You should always take care not drive to closely to any vehicle in front of you. As a minimum, you should try to allow 2 seconds between your vehicle and the vehicle in front. This distance should be increased for speeds of 50 mph or above, and at least doubled or more for poor weather conditions.

If you have sustained an injury in a car accident that was not your fault, we may be able to help you with injury compensation.

Please give us a call on 02392 484 244 , and one of our experienced claims advisors will be happy to assist you.

No need to claim on your insurance

Anyone who has been involved in a road accident has the right to choose who repairs their vehicle. If you were responsible for the accident you were involved in, the company that insures your vehicle would normally deal with your accident claim.

However if you were not at-fault for the accident, you can choose to either claim on your own insurance policy or make a claim independently of your insurer. To find out more call 02392 484 244 and we will be happy to help.

We and our partners help thousands of people make independent accident claims. Our service enables motorists to get the help and assistance they need to resolve their accident related issues, with the costs being recovered directly from the at-fault driver on your behalf.

No excess to pay

Unfortunately even if an accident was not your fault, your insurer will almost certainly require you to pay your excess before any repair is started on your car.

This money should of course be recovered by an insurer at a later date, but with our service - you do not have to pay it at all.

By using our independent claims service, you are not making a claim on your insurance policy and so you will have no excess to pay.

Receive a comparable replacement hire vehicle

Not all insurance policies will include a replacement hire-car for you to use if yours is damaged and unroadworthy. In fact it is typically an 'optional extra' on your policy.

Other policies may offer a 'courtesy car' but this is often just a 'basic' saloon or hatchback which may not be suitable for your needs.

Car Call and its partners will provide a comparable replacement vehicle as part of our service. This means we will endeavour to supply a hire-vehicle that similar to your own in terms of its type, make and engine size.

So whether you drive a small hatchback or a prestige sports car, we will look to provide a similar hire-vehicle that suits your needs.

Manufacturer approved vehicle repairs

If you have been involved in a car accident, the last thing you want to have to worry about is the quality of the repairs to your car. We have a UK wide network of partner approved Accident Repair Centres available to all of our customers.

Many of our accident repair centres are have manufacturer approvals for specific brands, so if you require a manufacturer approved repair centre, simply tell your personal claim handler and they will ensure your vehicle goes to an approved repairer.

Want you vehicle repaired by a specific garage? No problem, we can alternatively use a repairer that you specify.

Legal Assistance

Our partner solicitors provide legal assistance as part of our service. They specialise in motor claims related issues, so you can be assured of the best possible advice and assistance.

They issues they can assist you with include:

  • Recovery of the cost of the replacement hire-vehicle
  • Recovery of the cost of uplifting your damaged vehicle
  • Recovery of all repair costs
  • Recovery of the cost of damaged of personal items
  • Seeking financial compensation for an injury