Home | About us | Contact us | Join Accident Assist | Enquiry | Broker Products | Body Shop | Dealership | Competition
Privacy Policy | Website Terms and Conditions | Claims management services enquiry | Business Enquiry | Terms and conditions
Copyright © 2018 Car Call UK
Car Call UK
Car Call banner
Motor Accident?

Bought a second hand car? Get your car taxed! 17/03/15

Since 1 October 2014, if you buy a second hand car - or any taxable vehicle, you must buy new vehicle tax for it, even if it carries an old vehicle tax disc that 'appears' to be valid. Vehicle tax is no longer transferable from the previous owner.

This means that if you have not purchased new tax for your vehicle from the date ownership was transferred, you could be committing an offence if you were stopped by the police and your vehicle insurance may no longer be valid.

If you believe you are in this position the best thing to do is to go online and buy new vehicle tax for your vehicle from Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) website, via the phone or at a branch of the Post Office.

Your vehicle should be taxed from the date the vehicle was transferred to your ownership from your new ownership documents.

If you do not buy new vehicle tax immediately, you run the risk of receiving a £1000 fine if your vehicle is detected by one of the many static or mobile Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) camera systems on Roads Policing Vehicles.

ANPR systems are in widespread use these days, so don't risk it - if you have bought a second hand car, get your car taxed!

All information provided is believed to be correct at the time of publication.
3 Easy Steps
  Free road accident claim enquiry   Tell a friend
Help with your accident