Car safety equipment for driving in Europe

The legal requirements for car safety equipment may differ depending on which country in Europe you are travelling at the time. The list below describes some of the more common items required in European Community/European Economic Area [EC/EEA] countries. For specific country requirements you should check with traffic authorities of the countries concerned.

GB number plate or GB sticker

Drivers from the UK must indicate their country of origin. This can either be in the form of a special number plates incorporating the Euro GB symbol or a GB sticker on the rear of the vehicle. This must also be replicated on any towed trailer or caravan.

Warning Triangles and Reflective Vests

The law in France and other EC/EEA countries requires all vehicles to carry a collapsable warning triangle and at least one high-visability reflective vest. Both French and Spanish law actually strongly recommend that all passengers should have these vests. Spanish law requires 2 warning triangles to be carried.

Headlamp adaptors

Because UK drivers drive on the left hand side of the road, our vehicle headlamps are adjusted to point towards the left to avoid dazzling other drivers. This is exactly the opposite of drivers in Europe who drive on the right hand side, and so simple 'headlight adaptors' must be used to minimise the risk of dazzling other drivers when driving on the continent.

Spare bulb kit

It is illegal in Europe to drive with an in-operative exterior bulb. Carrying a kit of spare bulbs for your car will prevent you from receiving an on the spot fine by the police.

First Aid Kit & Fire Extinguisher

The European Good Samaritan Law states that all drivers should stop and provide assistance in the event of an accident. So is a good idea to carry both a First Aid Kit and a small fire extinguisher in your car.

If you have been involved in a car accident in the UK that was not your fault, we can help you get a replacement vehicle, car repairs, legal assistance and injury compensation. Please give us a call on 02392 484 244 , and one of our experienced claims advisors will be happy to assist you.

No need to claim on your insurance

Anyone who has been involved in a road accident has the right to choose who repairs their vehicle. If you were responsible for the accident you were involved in, the company that insures your vehicle would normally deal with your accident claim.

However if you were not at-fault for the accident, you can choose to either claim on your own insurance policy or make a claim independently of your insurer. To find out more call 02392 484 244 and we will be happy to help.

We and our partners help thousands of people make independent accident claims. Our service enables motorists to get the help and assistance they need to resolve their accident related issues, with the costs being recovered directly from the at-fault driver on your behalf.

No excess to pay

Unfortunately even if an accident was not your fault, your insurer will almost certainly require you to pay your excess before any repair is started on your car.

This money should of course be recovered by an insurer at a later date, but with our service - you do not have to pay it at all.

By using our independent claims service, you are not making a claim on your insurance policy and so you will have no excess to pay.

Receive a comparable replacement hire vehicle

Not all insurance policies will include a replacement hire-car for you to use if yours is damaged and unroadworthy. In fact it is typically an 'optional extra' on your policy.

Other policies may offer a 'courtesy car' but this is often just a 'basic' saloon or hatchback which may not be suitable for your needs.

Car Call and its partners will provide a comparable replacement vehicle as part of our service. This means we will endeavour to supply a hire-vehicle that similar to your own in terms of its type, make and engine size.

So whether you drive a small hatchback or a prestige sports car, we will look to provide a similar hire-vehicle that suits your needs.

Manufacturer approved vehicle repairs

If you have been involved in a car accident, the last thing you want to have to worry about is the quality of the repairs to your car. We have a UK wide network of partner approved Accident Repair Centres available to all of our customers.

Many of our accident repair centres are have manufacturer approvals for specific brands, so if you require a manufacturer approved repair centre, simply tell your personal claim handler and they will ensure your vehicle goes to an approved repairer.

Want you vehicle repaired by a specific garage? No problem, we can alternatively use a repairer that you specify.

Legal Assistance

Our partner solicitors provide legal assistance as part of our service. They specialise in motor claims related issues, so you can be assured of the best possible advice and assistance.

They issues they can assist you with include:

  • Recovery of the cost of the replacement hire-vehicle
  • Recovery of the cost of uplifting your damaged vehicle
  • Recovery of all repair costs
  • Recovery of the cost of damaged of personal items
  • Seeking financial compensation for an injury