Home | About us | Contact us | Join Accident Assist | Enquiry | Broker Products | Body Shop | Dealership | Competition
Privacy Policy | Website Terms and Conditions | Claims management services enquiry | Business Enquiry | Terms and conditions
Copyright © 2018 Car Call UK
Car Call UK
Car Call banner
Motor Accident?

Using your driving licence abroad or in other countries

If you intend to drive a vehicle abroad, you need to understand your obligations regarding the documents you may need in addition to your GB driving licence. You may for example also need to obtain an International Driving Permit in order to drive legally in some countries.

What is an International Driving Permit?

An International Driving Permit (IDP) is a document that translates the content of your UK driving licence into several languages so that the information it contains can be interpreted correctly by the authorities of the country you visit.

Do I need an International Driving Permit?

This will depend on the country you visit. Your GB driving licence will cover you to drive in the 17 member states of the European Community/European Economic Area (EC/EEA). To find out if you need an IDP for the country you intend to visit you can contact either the embassy of the country concerned, it's tourist board, your hire vehicle provider or a motoring organisation such as the AA or RAC.

To obtain an IDP you will have to be over 18 years of age and have a full GB driving licence. There will be a charge for the IDP (eg. currently £5.50 from the Post Office) and it will be valid for 1 year.

Will I need any other documents when I am driving abroad?

It is always wise to check well in advance with the relevant embassy, tourist board or your hire provider as to what additional documents you may need. Obtaining any travel documents can sometimes take several weeks and it is wise to check well in advance.

If you have had a car accident and would like some free help and advice please call us on 02392 484 244 and one of our UK based advisors will be happy to help.
3 Easy Steps
  Free road accident claim enquiry   Tell a friend
Help with your accident