What to do if your car is stolen?

Having your car stolen can be a traumatic and distressing experience, but it is important to try and remain calm and make sure you have the relevant information to hand when you contact the police and your insurer.

What do I do now?

If your car has been stolen you should take the following steps as quickly as possible:-
  • You will need to have the following details about your vehicle to hand - your registration number, colour, make, model and your insurance policy details

  • Make a list of any items of value that were in your vehicle at the time

  • Now get in touch with the police. They will ask you for your vehicle details along with information about the circumstances of the offence. They will also give you a crime reference number

  • Contact your insurer or claims advisor. They will take all your details including the crime reference number and let you know your position with regards to a possible claim.

What happens if my stolen car is recovered?

If your car is recovered and it is damaged, you may be able to claim for the damage to be repaired on your insurance policy.

This would involve an inspection of the damage by an automotive engineer, with the repairs being carried out by an approved repair centre or garage.

The claims process can sometimes be lengthy, so you should keep in regular contact with your policy provider to ensure that everything is progressed promptly.

What happens if my stolen car is not recovered?

If your car is not recovered you may be able to claim on your insurance policy. If your insurer decides to pay out for your claim you will have to inform the Driver and Vehicle Licencing Agency (DVLA) of the date your settlement payment was accepted and your insurers details.

You will also need to fill out the 'notification of sale or transfer' section of your vehicle registration (or vehicle owners) document and return it to the DVLA.

To obtain a refund of your car tax you will need a special form called a V33 which will have to be obtained by contacting the DVLA through their customer enquiries phone line.

You should wait at least seven days before applying for a refund in case your vehicle is recovered by the police and you will need the crime reference number provided by the police when you reported the theft.

If you still require a refund even though your car has been recovered, you can still do so but you will have to let the DVLA know what has happened to your car since it was recovered.

How can I prevent my car from being stolen?

This is a big topic, but there are a few basic steps you can take that could help you minimise the risk of your car being stolen.

  • Try to keep your car parked near your home and off the road if possible

  • If you are away from home and have to park your car overnight somewhere, try to park in a well lit area

  • Buy a basic steering or handbrake lock for your car. These provide a highly visible deterrent and are relatively inexpensive

  • A car alarm of any type is helpful and if you have one fitted that has been approved by your insurer, it may reduce your annual insurance costs

If you have had a car accident and would like some free help and advice please call us on 02392 484 244 and one of our UK based advisors will be happy to help.

No need to claim on your insurance

Anyone who has been involved in a road accident has the right to choose who repairs their vehicle. If you were responsible for the accident you were involved in, the company that insures your vehicle would normally deal with your accident claim.

However if you were not at-fault for the accident, you can choose to either claim on your own insurance policy or make a claim independently of your insurer. To find out more call 02392 484 244 and we will be happy to help.

We and our partners help thousands of people make independent accident claims. Our service enables motorists to get the help and assistance they need to resolve their accident related issues, with the costs being recovered directly from the at-fault driver on your behalf.

No excess to pay

Unfortunately even if an accident was not your fault, your insurer will almost certainly require you to pay your excess before any repair is started on your car.

This money should of course be recovered by an insurer at a later date, but with our service - you do not have to pay it at all.

By using our independent claims service, you are not making a claim on your insurance policy and so you will have no excess to pay.

Receive a comparable replacement hire vehicle

Not all insurance policies will include a replacement hire-car for you to use if yours is damaged and unroadworthy. In fact it is typically an 'optional extra' on your policy.

Other policies may offer a 'courtesy car' but this is often just a 'basic' saloon or hatchback which may not be suitable for your needs.

Car Call and its partners will provide a comparable replacement vehicle as part of our service. This means we will endeavour to supply a hire-vehicle that similar to your own in terms of its type, make and engine size.

So whether you drive a small hatchback or a prestige sports car, we will look to provide a similar hire-vehicle that suits your needs.

Manufacturer approved vehicle repairs

If you have been involved in a car accident, the last thing you want to have to worry about is the quality of the repairs to your car. We have a UK wide network of partner approved Accident Repair Centres available to all of our customers.

Many of our accident repair centres are have manufacturer approvals for specific brands, so if you require a manufacturer approved repair centre, simply tell your personal claim handler and they will ensure your vehicle goes to an approved repairer.

Want you vehicle repaired by a specific garage? No problem, we can alternatively use a repairer that you specify.

Legal Assistance

Our partner solicitors provide legal assistance as part of our service. They specialise in motor claims related issues, so you can be assured of the best possible advice and assistance.

They issues they can assist you with include:

  • Recovery of the cost of the replacement hire-vehicle
  • Recovery of the cost of uplifting your damaged vehicle
  • Recovery of all repair costs
  • Recovery of the cost of damaged of personal items
  • Seeking financial compensation for an injury