Car accident claim compensation

You could claim up to £30,352 or more for an injury sustained in car accident that was not your fault. For help and advice with any injury claim 02392 484 244 and we will be happy to help.

If you have been unfortunate enough to be injured by a careless driver, the law entitles you to claim financial compensation provided that the driver has admitted full or partial liability for the accident.

Compensation enables an injured person to receive a sum of money that not only reflects the severity of their injury, but it is also intended to include any medical costs or lost earnings as well.

How much compensation do I get?

The amount of compensation you receive will of course be unique for your particular injury, but here are some examples of the range of pay-outs for some typical injuries.

  • Whiplash. Minor £500 - Severe £200,000

  • Head injury. Minor £500 - Severe, open ended

  • Back and spine. Minor £4250 - Severe open ended

  • Shoulder injuries. Minor £1500 - Severe £15,000

  • Arm injuries. Minor £9000 - Severe, open ended

  • Hand injuries. Minor £1000 - Severe £60,000

  • Pelvic injuries. Minor £1000 - Severe £250,000

  • Leg and foot injuries. Moderate £7500 - £52,000

How is my compensation settlement decided?

If you haven't already had a medical examination, one will be arranged for you. Your appointed solicitor will use this information in addition to a conversation with yourself to find out how the injury has impacted on your life so far and how it may affect you in the future.

Specifically, the following criteria will be considered when pursuing your financial compensation settlement.

  • The type of injury you sustained in the accident

  • How the injury may affect you in the long term

  • If your injury leads to a permanent disability

  • If specialist treatments or therapy is needed

  • If you need mobility aids or equipment

  • Whether you need long term personal care

  • If your home needs to be modified to assist with a disability

Is the legal process difficult and will I have to go to court?

The solicitors we work with help thousands of clients every year get the compensation settlements they need.

The benefit of this experience is reflected in our claims process being made as simple as possible for all our clients.

In the vast majority of cases compensation claims are settled out of court. It is usually in the interests of both parties involved to keep the administration process to the minimum.

There will be a certain amount of paperwork involved in your claim, but to make this easy for you, we send an advisor to your home to answer any questions you may have and help you complete any forms.

If you have had an accident that was not your fault, please call us now on 02392 484 244 for free help and advice from one of our experienced claims advisors.

No need to claim on your insurance

Anyone who has been involved in a road accident has the right to choose who repairs their vehicle. If you were responsible for the accident you were involved in, the company that insures your vehicle would normally deal with your accident claim.

However if you were not at-fault for the accident, you can choose to either claim on your own insurance policy or make a claim independently of your insurer. To find out more call 02392 484 244 and we will be happy to help.

We and our partners help thousands of people make independent accident claims. Our service enables motorists to get the help and assistance they need to resolve their accident related issues, with the costs being recovered directly from the at-fault driver on your behalf.

No excess to pay

Unfortunately even if an accident was not your fault, your insurer will almost certainly require you to pay your excess before any repair is started on your car.

This money should of course be recovered by an insurer at a later date, but with our service - you do not have to pay it at all.

By using our independent claims service, you are not making a claim on your insurance policy and so you will have no excess to pay.

Receive a comparable replacement hire vehicle

Not all insurance policies will include a replacement hire-car for you to use if yours is damaged and unroadworthy. In fact it is typically an 'optional extra' on your policy.

Other policies may offer a 'courtesy car' but this is often just a 'basic' saloon or hatchback which may not be suitable for your needs.

Car Call and its partners will provide a comparable replacement vehicle as part of our service. This means we will endeavour to supply a hire-vehicle that similar to your own in terms of its type, make and engine size.

So whether you drive a small hatchback or a prestige sports car, we will look to provide a similar hire-vehicle that suits your needs.

Manufacturer approved vehicle repairs

If you have been involved in a car accident, the last thing you want to have to worry about is the quality of the repairs to your car. We have a UK wide network of partner approved Accident Repair Centres available to all of our customers.

Many of our accident repair centres are have manufacturer approvals for specific brands, so if you require a manufacturer approved repair centre, simply tell your personal claim handler and they will ensure your vehicle goes to an approved repairer.

Want you vehicle repaired by a specific garage? No problem, we can alternatively use a repairer that you specify.

Legal Assistance

Our partner solicitors provide legal assistance as part of our service. They specialise in motor claims related issues, so you can be assured of the best possible advice and assistance.

They issues they can assist you with include:

  • Recovery of the cost of the replacement hire-vehicle
  • Recovery of the cost of uplifting your damaged vehicle
  • Recovery of all repair costs
  • Recovery of the cost of damaged of personal items
  • Seeking financial compensation for an injury