Harley Davidson motorbike insurance claim?

Why you may not want to claim on your insurance after a no-fault accident. Compare our services to those provided in your policy, contact us today.

Get free independent alternative advice by calling Car Call today on the number above and compare our services to that of your insurance company after an accident.

Had an accident on your Harley Davidson? Did you know that if you are not at-fault you also have the option of making an accident claim independently of your insurer?

Car Call and its partners can arrange the repairs to your motorcycle, deliver a like-for-like replacement and deal with any legal assistance – without you having to make a claim on your insurance.

Find out why thousands of people every year choose our independent accident assistance over a claim on their insurance, call 0330 058 1704 and we will be happy to help.

After a non-fault accident, your insurer can of course assist with your accident claim. But typically, this will also involve you having to not only pay your excess and wait for it to be recovered later on.

To add insult to possible injury, you are also likely to lose your no-claims bonus and possibly see the cost of your next premium increase.

Our independent claims service is available to anyone who has had a non-fault accident with an insured driver.

Get assistance without an insurance claim

We and our partners will organise your replacement vehicle, your repairs and legal assistance if you need it.

When your claim is complete, we will recover these costs on your behalf directly from the insurer of the person responsible.

What we do: -

  • If your motorbike is damaged and un-roadworthy, we can arrange the delivery of a like-for-like replacement motorcycle or possibly a car if you have a full licence. Typically, this happens within 3 hours of accepting your claim

  • The damage to your bike will then be assessed by an independent automotive engineer

  • Repairs to your bike can be carried out at one of our approved accident repair centres or at a different repairer that you can specify

  • If required our partner solicitors can provide assistance with the recovery of costs of damaged clothing, out-of-pocket expenses, lost income and pursue a claim for a personal injury

To comply with the terms of your insurance policy and to let your insurer know that their assistance is not required, you simply inform them about the accident for ‘information purposes only’.

To start your independent accident claim today, call us on 0330 058 1704 or make an enquiry here.

Any policyholder can use this service, and it is your legal right to choose who repairs your vehicle. All assistance offered and information given on this page is provided by Car Call and its partners , no association or affiliation to any particular insurer is intended in any way, and your statutory rights are unaffected.

No need to claim on your insurance

Anyone who has been involved in a road accident has the right to choose who repairs their vehicle. If you were responsible for the accident you were involved in, the company that insures your vehicle would normally deal with your accident claim.

However if you were not at-fault for the accident, you can choose to either claim on your own insurance policy or make a claim independently of your insurer. To find out more call 02392 484 244 and we will be happy to help.

We and our partners help thousands of people make independent accident claims. Our service enables motorists to get the help and assistance they need to resolve their accident related issues, with the costs being recovered directly from the at-fault driver on your behalf.

No excess to pay

Unfortunately even if an accident was not your fault, your insurer will almost certainly require you to pay your excess before any repair is started on your car.

This money should of course be recovered by an insurer at a later date, but with our service - you do not have to pay it at all.

By using our independent claims service, you are not making a claim on your insurance policy and so you will have no excess to pay.

Receive a like-for-like replacement hire vehicle

Not all insurance policies will include a replacement hire-car for you to use if yours is damaged and unroadworthy. In fact it is typically an 'optional extra' on your policy.

Other policies may offer a 'courtesy car' but this is often just a 'basic' saloon or hatchback which may not be suitable for your needs.

Car Call and its partners will provide a like-for-like replacement vehicle as part of our service. This means we will endeavour to supply a hire-vehicle that similar to your own in terms of its type, make and engine size.

So whether you drive a small hatchback or a prestige sports car, we will look to provide a similar hire-vehicle that suits your needs.

Manufacturer approved vehicle repairs

If you have been involved in a car accident, the last thing you want to have to worry about is the quality of the repairs to your car. We have a UK wide network of partner approved Accident Repair Centres available to all of our customers.

Many of our accident repair centres are have manufacturer approvals for specific brands, so if you require a manufacturer approved repair centre, simply tell your personal claim handler and they will ensure your vehicle goes to an approved repairer.

Want you vehicle repaired by a specific garage? No problem, we can alternatively use a repairer that you specify.

Legal Assistance

Our partner solicitors provide legal assistance as part of our service. They specialise in motor claims related issues, so you can be assured of the best possible advice and assistance.

They issues they can assist you with include:

  • Recovery of the cost of the replacement hire-vehicle
  • Recovery of the cost of uplifting your damaged vehicle
  • Recovery of all repair costs
  • Recovery of the cost of damaged of personal items
  • Seeking financial compensation for an injury