Remember these rules to help avoid accidents 27/02/19
We all know to wear our seatbelts and not to drink and drive. There are however some important safety tips that are not always mentioned. We know that if you have a licence, you know how to drive! But as a motor claims assistance company we see so many accidents that we like to refresh our readers memories and keep you safe!
1. Don’t forget to adjust your mirrors - a lot of people find it easier to park when they can see the car and the road in the reflection in their mirrors. A common mistake many people make is to forget to adjust them back after – their primary purpose is after all to avoid collisions with neighbouring traffic and to reduce the blind spot areas by the side of your vehicle. You should always check the positioning of your mirrors as soon as you get in the car – It`s no good suddenly realising on the motorway that you cannot see traffic in the next lane!
2. Smart motorways have recently been installed on a lot of motorways across the UK and this has resulted in an increase in drivers receiving points for ‘careless driving’ for “hogging” the middle lane. Not only is it unsafe to force people to overtake you, it can cause traffic jams and a range of other issues on a motorway.
3. You should always keep your lights on in bad weather and at night. But it is best practice to keep your lights on whilst on a motorway, and in turn, it is probably safer to just keep lights on most the time you are driving. Just because you can see the road, It doesn’t mean other drivers can see you!
4. Remember that stopping distances are increased in bad weather and adjust your distance to the vehicle in front accordingly. If you find yourself aquaplaning, it is important not to panic, and not to brake or accelerate sharply. Hold the wheel steady, and gently brake when your wheels find traction again.
5. Stay aware of road and traffic signs – If there is a lane closure ahead, beware that not all drivers may have noticed this. Always be extra aware around roadworks or unusual traffic activity.
6. If you struggle even just a little bit to see at distance whilst driving during the day, this issue is magnified at least 5 times when driving at night. Make sure you always wear your glasses when driving if you need them, and especially during evening driving
All content is believed to be accurate at the time of publication.
No need to claim on your insurance
However if you were not at-fault for the accident, you can choose to either claim on your own insurance policy or make a claim independently of your insurer. To find out more call 02392 484 244 and we will be happy to help.
We and our partners help thousands of people make independent accident claims. Our service enables motorists to get the help and assistance they need to resolve their accident related issues, with the costs being recovered directly from the at-fault driver on your behalf.
No excess to pay
This money should of course be recovered by an insurer at a later date, but with our service - you do not have to pay it at all.
By using our independent claims service, you are not making a claim on your insurance policy and so you will have no excess to pay.
Receive a comparable replacement hire vehicle
Other policies may offer a 'courtesy car' but this is often just a 'basic' saloon or hatchback which may not be suitable for your needs.
Car Call and its partners will provide a comparable replacement vehicle as part of our service. This means we will endeavour to supply a hire-vehicle that similar to your own in terms of its type, make and engine size.
So whether you drive a small hatchback or a prestige sports car, we will look to provide a similar hire-vehicle that suits your needs.
Manufacturer approved vehicle repairs
Many of our accident repair centres are have manufacturer approvals for specific brands, so if you require a manufacturer approved repair centre, simply tell your personal claim handler and they will ensure your vehicle goes to an approved repairer.
Want you vehicle repaired by a specific garage? No problem, we can alternatively use a repairer that you specify.
They issues they can assist you with include:
- Recovery of the cost of the replacement hire-vehicle
- Recovery of the cost of uplifting your damaged vehicle
- Recovery of all repair costs
- Recovery of the cost of damaged of personal items
- Seeking financial compensation for an injury