- If the weather conditions are particularly bad, you should seriously consider staying at home or at least delaying your journey until the conditions improve
- If you have to make your journey, ensure that you have warm clothing, food, water, a shovel and a mobile phone in your vehicle
- Do not begin your journey without properly clearing all the snow of off your vehicle
- Acceleration should always be applied gently. Sudden acceleration is likely to cause wheelspin and a loss of steering control
- Pull away in second gear rather than first, as this will reduce the torque to the wheels and the likelyhood of wheelspin
- Try to avoid braking suddenly as this can cause your vehicle to skid on slippery surfaces
- Avoid taking sharp corners at high speeds to prevent the rear of your vehicle sliding out of control
- If you have an ABS or 'Anti-lock Braking Sytem' on your vehicle it will automaticlay 'pulse' the brakes on and off to help avoid a skid. However don't rely on it to get you out of trouble.