Reporting claims to your insurer

Reporting an accident claim to your insurer when you were not at-fault for the accident will almost certainly mean you have to pay the excess on your policy.

Report your accident via our independent accident claims service and you will not have to pay the excess on your policy. Call 02392 484 244 and we will be happy to help.

You may think that a claim on your car insurance policy is the only way to get your vehicle repaired following an accident. However if you did not cause the accident you also have the option of making a claim independently of your insurer.

We and our partners help thousands of people resolve their accident issues every year. We provide the assistance you need and recover the costs directly from the insurer of the at-fault driver on your behalf.

Surely I have to claim on my car insurance policy?

No you do not. We can independently handle your claim because we deal directly with the at-fault drivers insurer.

If you have an excess on your insurance policy, this will almost certainly need to be paid by you before your insurer authorises the repairs to your vehicle.

In addition to this, even though you were not at-fault for the accident, your no-claims discount could be affected by a claim on your policy.

Because we act completely independently of your insurer, it means that we and our partners can provide the help that you need.

So how do you help me after an accident?

We provide a full range of accident support services to enable everything to be resolved as quickly as possible for you.

As we are not bound by the limitations of your insurance policy, it enables us to provide the following assistance with your accident claim.

  • You will be provided with a comparable replacement vehicle to use if yours is unroadworthy or being repaired

  • The replacement vehicle is delivered typically within 3 hours of accepting your claim

  • Your damaged vehicle can either be repaired at an approved accident repair centre or at a garage of your own choice

  • The solicitors we work with can assist with accident related issues such as lost earnings or injury compensation

  • Help and advice is only a phone call away, with our 24 hour customer helpline

To find out if we can help with your accident claim, call 02392 484 244 and we will be happy to help.

Any policyholder can use this service, and it is your legal right to choose who repairs your vehicle. All assistance offered and information given on this page is provided by Car Call and its partners , no association or affiliation to any particular insurer is intended in any way, and your statutory rights are unaffected.

No need to claim on your insurance

Anyone who has been involved in a road accident has the right to choose who repairs their vehicle. If you were responsible for the accident you were involved in, the company that insures your vehicle would normally deal with your accident claim.

However if you were not at-fault for the accident, you can choose to either claim on your own insurance policy or make a claim independently of your insurer. To find out more call 02392 484 244 and we will be happy to help.

We and our partners help thousands of people make independent accident claims. Our service enables motorists to get the help and assistance they need to resolve their accident related issues, with the costs being recovered directly from the at-fault driver on your behalf.

No excess to pay

Unfortunately even if an accident was not your fault, your insurer will almost certainly require you to pay your excess before any repair is started on your car.

This money should of course be recovered by an insurer at a later date, but with our service - you do not have to pay it at all.

By using our independent claims service, you are not making a claim on your insurance policy and so you will have no excess to pay.

Receive a comparable replacement hire vehicle

Not all insurance policies will include a replacement hire-car for you to use if yours is damaged and unroadworthy. In fact it is typically an 'optional extra' on your policy.

Other policies may offer a 'courtesy car' but this is often just a 'basic' saloon or hatchback which may not be suitable for your needs.

Car Call and its partners will provide a comparable replacement vehicle as part of our service. This means we will endeavour to supply a hire-vehicle that similar to your own in terms of its type, make and engine size.

So whether you drive a small hatchback or a prestige sports car, we will look to provide a similar hire-vehicle that suits your needs.

Manufacturer approved vehicle repairs

If you have been involved in a car accident, the last thing you want to have to worry about is the quality of the repairs to your car. We have a UK wide network of partner approved Accident Repair Centres available to all of our customers.

Many of our accident repair centres are have manufacturer approvals for specific brands, so if you require a manufacturer approved repair centre, simply tell your personal claim handler and they will ensure your vehicle goes to an approved repairer.

Want you vehicle repaired by a specific garage? No problem, we can alternatively use a repairer that you specify.

Legal Assistance

Our partner solicitors provide legal assistance as part of our service. They specialise in motor claims related issues, so you can be assured of the best possible advice and assistance.

They issues they can assist you with include:

  • Recovery of the cost of the replacement hire-vehicle
  • Recovery of the cost of uplifting your damaged vehicle
  • Recovery of all repair costs
  • Recovery of the cost of damaged of personal items
  • Seeking financial compensation for an injury