Find a personal injury solicitor

Car Call and its partners provide independent car accident claims assistance for anyone involved in a collision that was not their fault. We and our partners help thousands of people every year resolve legal issues that can arise as a result of a road accident. To find out how we can help you, call 02392 484 244 and we will be happy to help.

How we help with your personal injury claim

The solicitors we work with are specialists that only deal with the particular issues that can arise following road traffic collisions. This experience enables our customers to receive the best possible advice and support with their personal injury claims.

Anybody who has been unfortunate enough to have been the victim of a careless driver is entitled to seek compensation for any personal injuries they sustained in the collision.

No matter how minor you consider your injury to be, you may well be entitled to claim financial compensation. You may qualify for a settlement of several hundred pounds for a minor injury. For more serious injuries, a compensation settlement can be even more crucial to help you financially through a long recovery period - or even a permanent disability.

I am not sure whether to make a claim, can I just get some advice?

Yes of course. Whether you want to use our service or not are experienced advisors are always happy to give you advice regarding any road accident collision. Even if your accident happened some time ago and you did not make a claim for compensation at the time, we will be happy to help or advise you as to the best course of action.

How does the solicitor decide how much compensation I get?

Your appointed solicitor will discuss how your injury has affected you and also look at your medical report (or arrange an examination for you) with a view to determining an appropriate compensation settlement for you.

The key factors that determine the value of your final award will be based on the following criteria:

  • The type of injury you have suffered

  • The level of discomfort you suffered at the time of the accident

  • How your injury could affect your life in the future

  • If your injury leads to a permanent disability

  • What specialist treatment, drugs or therapy you may need

  • Costs of medical aids or equipment

  • Personal care costs

  • Any modifications you may need to your home

  • Vehicle adaptions or mobility aid requirements

  • Earnings you may lose as a result of the injury in the short or longer terms

If you need to make an injury compensation claim then the solicitors we work with will ensure that you get the best possible settlement for your injury.

To find out how we can help with your car accident personal injury claim, give us a call us on 02392 484 244 , and one of our experienced claims advisors will be happy to assist you.

No need to claim on your insurance

Anyone who has been involved in a road accident has the right to choose who repairs their vehicle. If you were responsible for the accident you were involved in, the company that insures your vehicle would normally deal with your accident claim.

However if you were not at-fault for the accident, you can choose to either claim on your own insurance policy or make a claim independently of your insurer. To find out more call 02392 484 244 and we will be happy to help.

We and our partners help thousands of people make independent accident claims. Our service enables motorists to get the help and assistance they need to resolve their accident related issues, with the costs being recovered directly from the at-fault driver on your behalf.

No excess to pay

Unfortunately even if an accident was not your fault, your insurer will almost certainly require you to pay your excess before any repair is started on your car.

This money should of course be recovered by an insurer at a later date, but with our service - you do not have to pay it at all.

By using our independent claims service, you are not making a claim on your insurance policy and so you will have no excess to pay.

Receive a comparable replacement hire vehicle

Not all insurance policies will include a replacement hire-car for you to use if yours is damaged and unroadworthy. In fact it is typically an 'optional extra' on your policy.

Other policies may offer a 'courtesy car' but this is often just a 'basic' saloon or hatchback which may not be suitable for your needs.

Car Call and its partners will provide a comparable replacement vehicle as part of our service. This means we will endeavour to supply a hire-vehicle that similar to your own in terms of its type, make and engine size.

So whether you drive a small hatchback or a prestige sports car, we will look to provide a similar hire-vehicle that suits your needs.

Manufacturer approved vehicle repairs

If you have been involved in a car accident, the last thing you want to have to worry about is the quality of the repairs to your car. We have a UK wide network of partner approved Accident Repair Centres available to all of our customers.

Many of our accident repair centres are have manufacturer approvals for specific brands, so if you require a manufacturer approved repair centre, simply tell your personal claim handler and they will ensure your vehicle goes to an approved repairer.

Want you vehicle repaired by a specific garage? No problem, we can alternatively use a repairer that you specify.

Legal Assistance

Our partner solicitors provide legal assistance as part of our service. They specialise in motor claims related issues, so you can be assured of the best possible advice and assistance.

They issues they can assist you with include:

  • Recovery of the cost of the replacement hire-vehicle
  • Recovery of the cost of uplifting your damaged vehicle
  • Recovery of all repair costs
  • Recovery of the cost of damaged of personal items
  • Seeking financial compensation for an injury