How do I claim compensation from a bus company after an accident?

If you have suffered an injury in a road traffic accident when travelling on a bus, you may be looking to make a claim for personal injury compensation from the company concerned. We specialise in resolving accident issues of all types, call 02392 484 244 and we will be happy to help.

How would I go about making a claim?

Firstly contact us! Our experienced claims advisors will take the details of your accident and explain the options available to you.

You would then be contacted by the solicitors we work with who will guide you through the process of setting up your compensation claim, arrange for someone to visit your home to answer any questions you may have and help you complete any forms required.

What happens next?

The solicitors we work with will investigate your accident claim and look to pursue a compensation claim from either the insurer of the bus company or the insurer of the other vehicle involved, depending on who was responsible for the accident.

How much compensation will I receive?

This will depend on the injuries you suffered and how it impacts your life. In summary the following criteria will be carefully considered when assessing your final compensation settlement.

  • The discomfort you suffered at the time of the accident
  • How the injury is likely to impact your life

  • If you are likely to have a permanent disability

  • If specialist treatment or therapy is required

  • If you require specialist medical aids or equipment

  • Costs of any personal care requirements

  • If special modifications are needed for your home

  • Costs of adapted vehicles or mobility aids

  • Loss of potential earnings resulting from a disability

To find out more about making a bus passenger compensation claim call 02392 484 244 and we will be happy to help.

No need to claim on your insurance

Anyone who has been involved in a road accident has the right to choose who repairs their vehicle. If you were responsible for the accident you were involved in, the company that insures your vehicle would normally deal with your accident claim.

However if you were not at-fault for the accident, you can choose to either claim on your own insurance policy or make a claim independently of your insurer. To find out more call 02392 484 244 and we will be happy to help.

We and our partners help thousands of people make independent accident claims. Our service enables motorists to get the help and assistance they need to resolve their accident related issues, with the costs being recovered directly from the at-fault driver on your behalf.

No excess to pay

Unfortunately even if an accident was not your fault, your insurer will almost certainly require you to pay your excess before any repair is started on your car.

This money should of course be recovered by an insurer at a later date, but with our service - you do not have to pay it at all.

By using our independent claims service, you are not making a claim on your insurance policy and so you will have no excess to pay.

Receive a comparable replacement hire vehicle

Not all insurance policies will include a replacement hire-car for you to use if yours is damaged and unroadworthy. In fact it is typically an 'optional extra' on your policy.

Other policies may offer a 'courtesy car' but this is often just a 'basic' saloon or hatchback which may not be suitable for your needs.

Car Call and its partners will provide a comparable replacement vehicle as part of our service. This means we will endeavour to supply a hire-vehicle that similar to your own in terms of its type, make and engine size.

So whether you drive a small hatchback or a prestige sports car, we will look to provide a similar hire-vehicle that suits your needs.

Manufacturer approved vehicle repairs

If you have been involved in a car accident, the last thing you want to have to worry about is the quality of the repairs to your car. We have a UK wide network of partner approved Accident Repair Centres available to all of our customers.

Many of our accident repair centres are have manufacturer approvals for specific brands, so if you require a manufacturer approved repair centre, simply tell your personal claim handler and they will ensure your vehicle goes to an approved repairer.

Want you vehicle repaired by a specific garage? No problem, we can alternatively use a repairer that you specify.

Legal Assistance

Our partner solicitors provide legal assistance as part of our service. They specialise in motor claims related issues, so you can be assured of the best possible advice and assistance.

They issues they can assist you with include:

  • Recovery of the cost of the replacement hire-vehicle
  • Recovery of the cost of uplifting your damaged vehicle
  • Recovery of all repair costs
  • Recovery of the cost of damaged of personal items
  • Seeking financial compensation for an injury