I have been injured in a car accident how do claim?

If you have been injured in a car accident by a careless driver, you are entitled to seek compensation for your injuries from the insurer of the person responsible. Call us on 02392 484 244 and we will be happy to help.

We can independently help you pursue your compensation claim so you can get an appropriate financial settlement for the stress and discomfort you have suffered.

How does the process work?

We assist thousands of people like you every year. We discuss the circumstances of your accident with you and look to get an admission of liability from the person responsibles insurer.

We will then send out some documents to sign and if you wish, a representative will come to your home to explain everything for you and help you complete the documents we need.

How is my compensation settlement calculated?

Your compensation settlement amount will basically depend on the extent of your injuries, what treatments you are likely to need and how your injuries are likely to affect you in the future.

A common injury such as whiplash for example, could entitle you to claim several thousand pounds if it is severe and requires a long recovery period to restore you back to normal health.

For more serious injuries the following criteria will be considered in order to assess the value of your injury claim:

  • How much discomfort you suffered at the time of the accident

  • How the injury may affect your life in the future

  • If your injury causes a permanent disability

  • Any specialist treatment or therapy you may need

  • Costs of medical aids or equipment

  • Personal care costs

  • Costs of special modifications to your home

  • Vehicle adaptions or mobility aid requirements

  • Loss of earnings due to the recovery period or the injury itself

You can be assured that your appointed solicitor will always have your best interests at heart and look to achieve a claim settlement that is best suited to your particular circumstances.

To find out how our service can help following your accident, call us on 02392 484 244 and we will be happy to help.

Any policyholder can use this service, and it is your legal right to choose who repairs your vehicle. All assistance offered and information given on this page is provided by Car Call and its partners , no association or affiliation to any particular insurer is intended in any way, and your statutory rights are unaffected.

No need to claim on your insurance

Anyone who has been involved in a road accident has the right to choose who repairs their vehicle. If you were responsible for the accident you were involved in, the company that insures your vehicle would normally deal with your accident claim.

However if you were not at-fault for the accident, you can choose to either claim on your own insurance policy or make a claim independently of your insurer. To find out more call 02392 484 244 and we will be happy to help.

We and our partners help thousands of people make independent accident claims. Our service enables motorists to get the help and assistance they need to resolve their accident related issues, with the costs being recovered directly from the at-fault driver on your behalf.

No excess to pay

Unfortunately even if an accident was not your fault, your insurer will almost certainly require you to pay your excess before any repair is started on your car.

This money should of course be recovered by an insurer at a later date, but with our service - you do not have to pay it at all.

By using our independent claims service, you are not making a claim on your insurance policy and so you will have no excess to pay.

Receive a comparable replacement hire vehicle

Not all insurance policies will include a replacement hire-car for you to use if yours is damaged and unroadworthy. In fact it is typically an 'optional extra' on your policy.

Other policies may offer a 'courtesy car' but this is often just a 'basic' saloon or hatchback which may not be suitable for your needs.

Car Call and its partners will provide a comparable replacement vehicle as part of our service. This means we will endeavour to supply a hire-vehicle that similar to your own in terms of its type, make and engine size.

So whether you drive a small hatchback or a prestige sports car, we will look to provide a similar hire-vehicle that suits your needs.

Manufacturer approved vehicle repairs

If you have been involved in a car accident, the last thing you want to have to worry about is the quality of the repairs to your car. We have a UK wide network of partner approved Accident Repair Centres available to all of our customers.

Many of our accident repair centres are have manufacturer approvals for specific brands, so if you require a manufacturer approved repair centre, simply tell your personal claim handler and they will ensure your vehicle goes to an approved repairer.

Want you vehicle repaired by a specific garage? No problem, we can alternatively use a repairer that you specify.

Legal Assistance

Our partner solicitors provide legal assistance as part of our service. They specialise in motor claims related issues, so you can be assured of the best possible advice and assistance.

They issues they can assist you with include:

  • Recovery of the cost of the replacement hire-vehicle
  • Recovery of the cost of uplifting your damaged vehicle
  • Recovery of all repair costs
  • Recovery of the cost of damaged of personal items
  • Seeking financial compensation for an injury