Bimota motorbike insurance claim?

Why you may not want to claim on your insurance after a no-fault accident. Compare our services to those provided in your policy, contact us today.

Get free independent alternative advice by calling Car Call today on the number above and compare our services to that of your insurance company after an accident.

Did you know that if you have an accident on your Bimota motorcycle and you were not the person responsible, you have an alternative to a claim on your motorcycle insurance?

Car Call and its partners provide independent accident assistance for all types of road users. Ours service enables anyone who is not at-fault for their accident to get their motorbike repaired, a replacement and legal help and advice – without having to claim on their insurance.

To compare our services to a claim on your insurance policy, call 02392 484 244 and we will be happy to help.

Many of us like to keep the cost of their insurance down by not only shopping around for the best deal, but by having an excess on our insurance. The trouble is even the best motorcyclists are not immune from accidents with careless drivers.

What is worse is the fact you may still be expected to pay that excess, even if you are not the person at-fault. Of course, you should get that money back eventually, but why pay out in the first place by making an insurance claim?

Our independent claims service enables you to avoid a claim on your insurance because we and our partners arrange the services you need and then recover the costs directly from the at-fault driver’s insurer on your behalf.

Also, don’t forget that by not making a claim on your policy, your no-claims bonus stays intact, and you should be subject to an increase when you renew.

Making an accident claim independently of your insurer can have many advantages.

  • You will have no excess to pay

  • Your next insurance premium should not be affected

  • We and our partners provide you with a comparable replacement motorbike to use whilst yours is repaired

  • We arrange the repair to your motorcycle

  • We recover the costs directly from the insurer of the person responsible

Legal assistance is also provided

If you require legal assistance, our partner solicitors will take care of everything for you.

Issues they can assist with include:

  • Motorcycle recovery costs

  • The recovery of lost income or damaged equipment/clothing due to the accident

  • Claims for a personal injury

If you would like to know more about our alternative claims assistance, simply call 02392 484 244 or make an enquiry here.

Any policyholder can use this service, and it is your legal right to choose who repairs your vehicle. All assistance offered and information given on this page is provided by Car Call and its partners , no association or affiliation to any particular insurer is intended in any way, and your statutory rights are unaffected.

No need to claim on your insurance

Anyone who has been involved in a road accident has the right to choose who repairs their vehicle. If you were responsible for the accident you were involved in, the company that insures your vehicle would normally deal with your accident claim.

However if you were not at-fault for the accident, you can choose to either claim on your own insurance policy or make a claim independently of your insurer. To find out more call 02392 484 244 and we will be happy to help.

We and our partners help thousands of people make independent accident claims. Our service enables motorists to get the help and assistance they need to resolve their accident related issues, with the costs being recovered directly from the at-fault driver on your behalf.

No excess to pay

Unfortunately even if an accident was not your fault, your insurer will almost certainly require you to pay your excess before any repair is started on your car.

This money should of course be recovered by an insurer at a later date, but with our service - you do not have to pay it at all.

By using our independent claims service, you are not making a claim on your insurance policy and so you will have no excess to pay.

Receive a comparable replacement hire vehicle

Not all insurance policies will include a replacement hire-car for you to use if yours is damaged and unroadworthy. In fact it is typically an 'optional extra' on your policy.

Other policies may offer a 'courtesy car' but this is often just a 'basic' saloon or hatchback which may not be suitable for your needs.

Car Call and its partners will provide a comparable replacement vehicle as part of our service. This means we will endeavour to supply a hire-vehicle that similar to your own in terms of its type, make and engine size.

So whether you drive a small hatchback or a prestige sports car, we will look to provide a similar hire-vehicle that suits your needs.

Manufacturer approved vehicle repairs

If you have been involved in a car accident, the last thing you want to have to worry about is the quality of the repairs to your car. We have a UK wide network of partner approved Accident Repair Centres available to all of our customers.

Many of our accident repair centres are have manufacturer approvals for specific brands, so if you require a manufacturer approved repair centre, simply tell your personal claim handler and they will ensure your vehicle goes to an approved repairer.

Want you vehicle repaired by a specific garage? No problem, we can alternatively use a repairer that you specify.

Legal Assistance

Our partner solicitors provide legal assistance as part of our service. They specialise in motor claims related issues, so you can be assured of the best possible advice and assistance.

They issues they can assist you with include:

  • Recovery of the cost of the replacement hire-vehicle
  • Recovery of the cost of uplifting your damaged vehicle
  • Recovery of all repair costs
  • Recovery of the cost of damaged of personal items
  • Seeking financial compensation for an injury