Car Tax disc changes on the 1st October 2014. 26/09/14

From Wednesday 1st of October it will no longer be necessary to display a paper tax disc on your vehicle.

Unfortunately this does not mean you don't have to pay Tax on your vehicle though...!

If you have a tax disc that is still valid after this date then you can legally remove it from your vehicle. But remember you still need to renew your car tax when it expires.

You should still receive a reminder that your vehicle tax is about to expire by post in the normal way.

To renew your tax disc you have three possible options:

  • Via the internet at

  • By phone on 0300 123 4321

  • At your local post office

You will also be able to pay for your car tax by Direct Debit if you wish. Paying by direct debit also gives you the option to automatically renew your tax, provided your vehicle has a valid MOT certificate.

How do the Police know if my car is taxed?

The Police will be monitoring vehicles with ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) equipment which is built in to vehicles operated by traffic Police and also some static traffic cameras.

If you sell your vehicle

The changes also mean that when you sell your vehicle the tax is NOT transferred to the new owner. You can apply for a refund for any outstanding tax when you notify the DVLA of the change of ownership.

All information provided is believed to be correct at the time of publication.

No need to claim on your insurance

Anyone who has been involved in a road accident has the right to choose who repairs their vehicle. If you were responsible for the accident you were involved in, the company that insures your vehicle would normally deal with your accident claim.

However if you were not at-fault for the accident, you can choose to either claim on your own insurance policy or make a claim independently of your insurer. To find out more call 02392 484 244 and we will be happy to help.

We and our partners help thousands of people make independent accident claims. Our service enables motorists to get the help and assistance they need to resolve their accident related issues, with the costs being recovered directly from the at-fault driver on your behalf.

No excess to pay

Unfortunately even if an accident was not your fault, your insurer will almost certainly require you to pay your excess before any repair is started on your car.

This money should of course be recovered by an insurer at a later date, but with our service - you do not have to pay it at all.

By using our independent claims service, you are not making a claim on your insurance policy and so you will have no excess to pay.

Receive a comparable replacement hire vehicle

Not all insurance policies will include a replacement hire-car for you to use if yours is damaged and unroadworthy. In fact it is typically an 'optional extra' on your policy.

Other policies may offer a 'courtesy car' but this is often just a 'basic' saloon or hatchback which may not be suitable for your needs.

Car Call and its partners will provide a comparable replacement vehicle as part of our service. This means we will endeavour to supply a hire-vehicle that similar to your own in terms of its type, make and engine size.

So whether you drive a small hatchback or a prestige sports car, we will look to provide a similar hire-vehicle that suits your needs.

Manufacturer approved vehicle repairs

If you have been involved in a car accident, the last thing you want to have to worry about is the quality of the repairs to your car. We have a UK wide network of partner approved Accident Repair Centres available to all of our customers.

Many of our accident repair centres are have manufacturer approvals for specific brands, so if you require a manufacturer approved repair centre, simply tell your personal claim handler and they will ensure your vehicle goes to an approved repairer.

Want you vehicle repaired by a specific garage? No problem, we can alternatively use a repairer that you specify.

Legal Assistance

Our partner solicitors provide legal assistance as part of our service. They specialise in motor claims related issues, so you can be assured of the best possible advice and assistance.

They issues they can assist you with include:

  • Recovery of the cost of the replacement hire-vehicle
  • Recovery of the cost of uplifting your damaged vehicle
  • Recovery of all repair costs
  • Recovery of the cost of damaged of personal items
  • Seeking financial compensation for an injury