I have been hurt in a car accident, can I claim compensation?

If you have been hurt in a car accident you may be looking to claim compensation for your injuries. As long as you were not responsible for the accident you may be entitled to a claim settlement worth hundreds or even thousands of pounds. For compensation advice and assistance call 02392 484 244 and we will be happy to help.

Being hurt in a car accident can be a traumatic experience, not just because of the physical discomfort but also due to the mental shock and disorientation that can result from a sudden unexpected impact on your vehicle.

Your personal injury settlement will be sought to compensate you financially for any of the following:

  • The stress and discomfort suffered at the time of the incident

  • Discomfort suffered following the accident

  • Your inability to perform your normal activities

  • Temporary or permanent loss of income

  • Special medical treatments

  • Costs of equipment/appliances you may need

  • Modifications to your home or funding for personal care

If we are able to assist with your claim, your appointed specialist solicitor will look to achieve the best possible claim settlement for your particular circumstances.

There is no need to be concerned about the legal claims process or the paperwork involved as we will clearly explain everything to you and keep any paperwork to the minimum.

Can you help with repairs to my vehicle in as well as my compensation claim?

We can also provide assistance with all aspects of your car accident claim independently of your insurer if you wish.

We can arrange for your vehicle to be repaired at an approved accident repair centre or at a repair centre of your own choice.

A comparable replacement for your own vehicle will be provided for you to use if yours is un-roadworthy or having the repairs carried out.

Because we deal directly with the insurer of the at-fault driver on your behalf, it should not be necessary to make a claim on your own insurance policy and your no-claims bonus should not be affected.

To find out more about car accident compensation claims or any accident related issues, just call 02392 484 244 and we will be happy to help.

Any policyholder can use this service, and it is your legal right to choose who repairs your vehicle. All assistance offered and information given on this page is provided by Car Call and its partners , no association or affiliation to any particular insurer is intended in any way, and your statutory rights are unaffected.

No need to claim on your insurance

Anyone who has been involved in a road accident has the right to choose who repairs their vehicle. If you were responsible for the accident you were involved in, the company that insures your vehicle would normally deal with your accident claim.

However if you were not at-fault for the accident, you can choose to either claim on your own insurance policy or make a claim independently of your insurer. To find out more call 02392 484 244 and we will be happy to help.

We and our partners help thousands of people make independent accident claims. Our service enables motorists to get the help and assistance they need to resolve their accident related issues, with the costs being recovered directly from the at-fault driver on your behalf.

No excess to pay

Unfortunately even if an accident was not your fault, your insurer will almost certainly require you to pay your excess before any repair is started on your car.

This money should of course be recovered by an insurer at a later date, but with our service - you do not have to pay it at all.

By using our independent claims service, you are not making a claim on your insurance policy and so you will have no excess to pay.

Receive a comparable replacement hire vehicle

Not all insurance policies will include a replacement hire-car for you to use if yours is damaged and unroadworthy. In fact it is typically an 'optional extra' on your policy.

Other policies may offer a 'courtesy car' but this is often just a 'basic' saloon or hatchback which may not be suitable for your needs.

Car Call and its partners will provide a comparable replacement vehicle as part of our service. This means we will endeavour to supply a hire-vehicle that similar to your own in terms of its type, make and engine size.

So whether you drive a small hatchback or a prestige sports car, we will look to provide a similar hire-vehicle that suits your needs.

Manufacturer approved vehicle repairs

If you have been involved in a car accident, the last thing you want to have to worry about is the quality of the repairs to your car. We have a UK wide network of partner approved Accident Repair Centres available to all of our customers.

Many of our accident repair centres are have manufacturer approvals for specific brands, so if you require a manufacturer approved repair centre, simply tell your personal claim handler and they will ensure your vehicle goes to an approved repairer.

Want you vehicle repaired by a specific garage? No problem, we can alternatively use a repairer that you specify.

Legal Assistance

Our partner solicitors provide legal assistance as part of our service. They specialise in motor claims related issues, so you can be assured of the best possible advice and assistance.

They issues they can assist you with include:

  • Recovery of the cost of the replacement hire-vehicle
  • Recovery of the cost of uplifting your damaged vehicle
  • Recovery of all repair costs
  • Recovery of the cost of damaged of personal items
  • Seeking financial compensation for an injury