A car crashed into the back of my car, is it my fault?

If a car crashes into the back of your car on a public road it will in the majority of cases be their fault - not yours. If you would like to make an accident claim now, call us on 02392 484 244 and we can look to report your claim for you.

A driver of a vehicle traveling behind you, has a responsibility to maintain enough distance between themselves and any vehicle in front to enable them to stop safely without crashing into them.

This is a very important fact to remember for any road user. Even if the driver in front of you brakes suddenly for no particular reason, you must ensure that you allow a safe braking distance for the speed you are traveling at. The law states “You must always be able to stop in the distance at which you can see to be clear”

What is a safe distance?

The distance you should keep between your car and the vehicle in front will depend on the speed at which you are traveling and the prevailing road and weather conditions.

As a general rule, it is recommended that drivers keep at least 2 seconds behind the vehicle in front to maintain a safe stopping distance.

The '2 Second Rule'

Back in the 1970's the government ran a successful TV campaign which provided a simple but effective way for car driver's to judge the distance they need to maintain.

When traveling behind a vehicle, look ahead and pick a roadside object such as a lamp post or road sign. As the vehicle in front of you passes the object say this phrase to yourself - 'Only a fool breaks the 2 second rule'. If the front of your vehicle passes the object before you have finished the phrase, then you are too close and need to create a larger gap.

Because the phrase takes approximately 2 seconds to say, it enables you to keep a safe distance between you and the car in front.

Please feel free to give us a call on 02392 484 244 for further information, and one of our experienced claims advisors will be happy to assist you.

No need to claim on your insurance

Anyone who has been involved in a road accident has the right to choose who repairs their vehicle. If you were responsible for the accident you were involved in, the company that insures your vehicle would normally deal with your accident claim.

However if you were not at-fault for the accident, you can choose to either claim on your own insurance policy or make a claim independently of your insurer. To find out more call 02392 484 244 and we will be happy to help.

We and our partners help thousands of people make independent accident claims. Our service enables motorists to get the help and assistance they need to resolve their accident related issues, with the costs being recovered directly from the at-fault driver on your behalf.

No excess to pay

Unfortunately even if an accident was not your fault, your insurer will almost certainly require you to pay your excess before any repair is started on your car.

This money should of course be recovered by an insurer at a later date, but with our service - you do not have to pay it at all.

By using our independent claims service, you are not making a claim on your insurance policy and so you will have no excess to pay.

Receive a comparable replacement hire vehicle

Not all insurance policies will include a replacement hire-car for you to use if yours is damaged and unroadworthy. In fact it is typically an 'optional extra' on your policy.

Other policies may offer a 'courtesy car' but this is often just a 'basic' saloon or hatchback which may not be suitable for your needs.

Car Call and its partners will provide a comparable replacement vehicle as part of our service. This means we will endeavour to supply a hire-vehicle that similar to your own in terms of its type, make and engine size.

So whether you drive a small hatchback or a prestige sports car, we will look to provide a similar hire-vehicle that suits your needs.

Manufacturer approved vehicle repairs

If you have been involved in a car accident, the last thing you want to have to worry about is the quality of the repairs to your car. We have a UK wide network of partner approved Accident Repair Centres available to all of our customers.

Many of our accident repair centres are have manufacturer approvals for specific brands, so if you require a manufacturer approved repair centre, simply tell your personal claim handler and they will ensure your vehicle goes to an approved repairer.

Want you vehicle repaired by a specific garage? No problem, we can alternatively use a repairer that you specify.

Legal Assistance

Our partner solicitors provide legal assistance as part of our service. They specialise in motor claims related issues, so you can be assured of the best possible advice and assistance.

They issues they can assist you with include:

  • Recovery of the cost of the replacement hire-vehicle
  • Recovery of the cost of uplifting your damaged vehicle
  • Recovery of all repair costs
  • Recovery of the cost of damaged of personal items
  • Seeking financial compensation for an injury