Motorcycle tests almost fully booked until 19 January 2013. 10/12/12

If you are looking to book a test before the new motorcycle rules come in next year, you may have to be quick as they are nearly all booked up - according to the Driving Standards Agency.

If candidates are unable to get a test before the new rules apply, it could affect the category of licence they were hoping to get.

The new rules are quite extensive, full details of which can be found on the website.

The new rules relating to the type of motorcycle or moped you can use to take your test are summarised below.

Rules for mopeds

The moped you can use for your test after 19 January 2013 must:-

  • Be a solo machine

  • Be no more than 50cc

  • Have a top speed of no more than 28mph

  • Have a speedometer measuring speed in mph

  • Display L plates (‘L’ or ‘D’ plates in Wales) on the front and rear, be insured, taxed and roadworthy and have no engine warning lights showing

Rules for all motorcycles

The motorcycle you can use for your test after 19 January 2013 must:-

  • Have a speedometer measuring speed in mph

  • Display L plates (‘L’ or ‘D’ plates in Wales) on the front and rear

  • Be insured, taxed and roadworthy and have no engine warning lights showing

  • Be suitable for the type of test you’re taking

Automatic and semi-automatic motorcycles

If you pass the test on a motorcycle with automatic or semi-automatic transmission you will only get a full licence for those types of motorcycle.

The DSA has stated that any tests that have been cancelled due to bad weather can either be rescheduled for after the 19 January or the candidate can claim a refund.

No need to claim on your insurance

Anyone who has been involved in a road accident has the right to choose who repairs their vehicle. If you were responsible for the accident you were involved in, the company that insures your vehicle would normally deal with your accident claim.

However if you were not at-fault for the accident, you can choose to either claim on your own insurance policy or make a claim independently of your insurer. To find out more call 02392 484 244 and we will be happy to help.

We and our partners help thousands of people make independent accident claims. Our service enables motorists to get the help and assistance they need to resolve their accident related issues, with the costs being recovered directly from the at-fault driver on your behalf.

No excess to pay

Unfortunately even if an accident was not your fault, your insurer will almost certainly require you to pay your excess before any repair is started on your car.

This money should of course be recovered by an insurer at a later date, but with our service - you do not have to pay it at all.

By using our independent claims service, you are not making a claim on your insurance policy and so you will have no excess to pay.

Receive a comparable replacement hire vehicle

Not all insurance policies will include a replacement hire-car for you to use if yours is damaged and unroadworthy. In fact it is typically an 'optional extra' on your policy.

Other policies may offer a 'courtesy car' but this is often just a 'basic' saloon or hatchback which may not be suitable for your needs.

Car Call and its partners will provide a comparable replacement vehicle as part of our service. This means we will endeavour to supply a hire-vehicle that similar to your own in terms of its type, make and engine size.

So whether you drive a small hatchback or a prestige sports car, we will look to provide a similar hire-vehicle that suits your needs.

Manufacturer approved vehicle repairs

If you have been involved in a car accident, the last thing you want to have to worry about is the quality of the repairs to your car. We have a UK wide network of partner approved Accident Repair Centres available to all of our customers.

Many of our accident repair centres are have manufacturer approvals for specific brands, so if you require a manufacturer approved repair centre, simply tell your personal claim handler and they will ensure your vehicle goes to an approved repairer.

Want you vehicle repaired by a specific garage? No problem, we can alternatively use a repairer that you specify.

Legal Assistance

Our partner solicitors provide legal assistance as part of our service. They specialise in motor claims related issues, so you can be assured of the best possible advice and assistance.

They issues they can assist you with include:

  • Recovery of the cost of the replacement hire-vehicle
  • Recovery of the cost of uplifting your damaged vehicle
  • Recovery of all repair costs
  • Recovery of the cost of damaged of personal items
  • Seeking financial compensation for an injury