Do I have to report a car accident to the police?

If you are involved in a car accident you may wonder whether or not to contact the Police.

Generally speaking the police do not need to be involved unless the accident involves an injury, the vehicles are causing a traffic hazard or you suspect that someone has broken the law.

However it is often a good idea to contact them anyway, particularly if there is another party involved and they are refusing to admit it that it was their fault.

If you would like further advice or assistance regarding your accident, please call us on 02392 484 244 and we will be happy to help.

The advantages of having the police at the scene

Being involved in an accident can be a very stressful experience.

Most people realise that after an accident they have to exchange names, addresses, contact numbers and insurance details - but you may be so shaken up that you forget to collect even this most basic of information.

It is however extremely important that you not only collect the above information, but also take photographs, draw diagrams, get details of all the vehicles involved and all the people involved, especially independent witnesses.

This is quite a lot to do under the circumstances, this is when a quick call to the police becomes important.

Road traffic police officers are specially trained to handle such situations and will be able to help and advise you at the scene.

The police will make notes of all the relevant details as a matter of course, taking statements from everyone involved and generally managing the accident scene.

This information will be made into a formal report which you can obtain a copy of at a later date, to help with your accident claim.

If you need help or advice following any type of road accident please call us on 02392 484 244 and we will be happy to help.

No need to claim on your insurance

Anyone who has been involved in a road accident has the right to choose who repairs their vehicle. If you were responsible for the accident you were involved in, the company that insures your vehicle would normally deal with your accident claim.

However if you were not at-fault for the accident, you can choose to either claim on your own insurance policy or make a claim independently of your insurer. To find out more call 02392 484 244 and we will be happy to help.

We and our partners help thousands of people make independent accident claims. Our service enables motorists to get the help and assistance they need to resolve their accident related issues, with the costs being recovered directly from the at-fault driver on your behalf.

No excess to pay

Unfortunately even if an accident was not your fault, your insurer will almost certainly require you to pay your excess before any repair is started on your car.

This money should of course be recovered by an insurer at a later date, but with our service - you do not have to pay it at all.

By using our independent claims service, you are not making a claim on your insurance policy and so you will have no excess to pay.

Receive a comparable replacement hire vehicle

Not all insurance policies will include a replacement hire-car for you to use if yours is damaged and unroadworthy. In fact it is typically an 'optional extra' on your policy.

Other policies may offer a 'courtesy car' but this is often just a 'basic' saloon or hatchback which may not be suitable for your needs.

Car Call and its partners will provide a comparable replacement vehicle as part of our service. This means we will endeavour to supply a hire-vehicle that similar to your own in terms of its type, make and engine size.

So whether you drive a small hatchback or a prestige sports car, we will look to provide a similar hire-vehicle that suits your needs.

Manufacturer approved vehicle repairs

If you have been involved in a car accident, the last thing you want to have to worry about is the quality of the repairs to your car. We have a UK wide network of partner approved Accident Repair Centres available to all of our customers.

Many of our accident repair centres are have manufacturer approvals for specific brands, so if you require a manufacturer approved repair centre, simply tell your personal claim handler and they will ensure your vehicle goes to an approved repairer.

Want you vehicle repaired by a specific garage? No problem, we can alternatively use a repairer that you specify.

Legal Assistance

Our partner solicitors provide legal assistance as part of our service. They specialise in motor claims related issues, so you can be assured of the best possible advice and assistance.

They issues they can assist you with include:

  • Recovery of the cost of the replacement hire-vehicle
  • Recovery of the cost of uplifting your damaged vehicle
  • Recovery of all repair costs
  • Recovery of the cost of damaged of personal items
  • Seeking financial compensation for an injury