Insurance claim for accident with a foreign vehicle

If you have been involved in a car accidents with a vehicle that is from another country, there is no reason why your claim should be any more difficult than an accident with a vehicle registered in the UK. Any vehicle that is used on UK roads is obliged by law to have adequate insurance to cover this eventuality.

What is a ‘Green Card’?

The driver of a foreign registered vehicle (especially a commercial vehicle) should have what is known as a ‘Green Card’. This document provides proof that the vehicle has suitable insurance cover to drive in certain other countries including the UK.

At the scene of the accident it is always important to collect as much information as possible from the driver. If possible photos of the accident scene, the damage to your vehicle and the other vehicle and particularly the other vehicles number plate.

With foreign vehicle accidents this is perhaps even more important as they are from outside the UK and may not be able to communicate effectively in English.

Ask the driver if they have a ‘Green Card’ and take several photos of it (in case the first one is not very clear) and submit it to whoever is dealing with your accident claim. Alternatively, carefully write down all the information on it.

Having the ‘Green Card’ information can help speed up the claims process considerably.

Was the accident your fault or not?

If the accident was your fault, then you should contact your insurer and pass on all relevant information as soon as you can.

If you were not at-fault you can either contact your insurer or use our non-fault claims service as an alternative to a claim on your policy.

If we and our partners deal with your accident claim, you are not making a claim on your own insurance policy. There is no excess to pay and we and our partners can arrange your repairs, provide you with a replacement vehicle and assist with legal issues.

This also means that your next insurance premium should not increase as a result of your accident claim.

We and our partners recover all the costs associated with your claim directly from the insurer of the at-fault driver on your behalf.

Depending on the circumstances of your accident, we can arrange: -

  • A comparable replacement for your damaged vehicle if it is un-roadworthy or being repaired

  • The replacement vehicle will be delivered to your home or place of work typically within 3 hours (if your vehicle is un-drivable) of starting your claim

  • The repairs to your vehicle are arranged at one of our partner network of approved accident repair centres or at a repair centre near you

  • The solicitors we work with can arrange legal assistance with issues ranging from the recovery of expenses to claims for compensation

  • Our claims team are available 24/7 for support and advice with your claim

Whatever the circumstances of your accident, we will do our very best to help you in any way we can - so please contact us on 02392 484 244 and our UK based claims team will be happy to help.

Any policyholder can use this service, and it is your legal right to choose who repairs your vehicle. All assistance offered and information given on this page is provided by Car Call and its partners , no association or affiliation to any particular insurer is intended in any way, and your statutory rights are unaffected.

No need to claim on your insurance

Anyone who has been involved in a road accident has the right to choose who repairs their vehicle. If you were responsible for the accident you were involved in, the company that insures your vehicle would normally deal with your accident claim.

However if you were not at-fault for the accident, you can choose to either claim on your own insurance policy or make a claim independently of your insurer. To find out more call 02392 484 244 and we will be happy to help.

We and our partners help thousands of people make independent accident claims. Our service enables motorists to get the help and assistance they need to resolve their accident related issues, with the costs being recovered directly from the at-fault driver on your behalf.

No excess to pay

Unfortunately even if an accident was not your fault, your insurer will almost certainly require you to pay your excess before any repair is started on your car.

This money should of course be recovered by an insurer at a later date, but with our service - you do not have to pay it at all.

By using our independent claims service, you are not making a claim on your insurance policy and so you will have no excess to pay.

Receive a comparable replacement hire vehicle

Not all insurance policies will include a replacement hire-car for you to use if yours is damaged and unroadworthy. In fact it is typically an 'optional extra' on your policy.

Other policies may offer a 'courtesy car' but this is often just a 'basic' saloon or hatchback which may not be suitable for your needs.

Car Call and its partners will provide a comparable replacement vehicle as part of our service. This means we will endeavour to supply a hire-vehicle that similar to your own in terms of its type, make and engine size.

So whether you drive a small hatchback or a prestige sports car, we will look to provide a similar hire-vehicle that suits your needs.

Manufacturer approved vehicle repairs

If you have been involved in a car accident, the last thing you want to have to worry about is the quality of the repairs to your car. We have a UK wide network of partner approved Accident Repair Centres available to all of our customers.

Many of our accident repair centres are have manufacturer approvals for specific brands, so if you require a manufacturer approved repair centre, simply tell your personal claim handler and they will ensure your vehicle goes to an approved repairer.

Want you vehicle repaired by a specific garage? No problem, we can alternatively use a repairer that you specify.

Legal Assistance

Our partner solicitors provide legal assistance as part of our service. They specialise in motor claims related issues, so you can be assured of the best possible advice and assistance.

They issues they can assist you with include:

  • Recovery of the cost of the replacement hire-vehicle
  • Recovery of the cost of uplifting your damaged vehicle
  • Recovery of all repair costs
  • Recovery of the cost of damaged of personal items
  • Seeking financial compensation for an injury