Accident vehicle recovery

Why you may not want to claim on your insurance after a no-fault accident. Compare our services to those provided in your policy, contact us today.

Get free independent alternative advice by calling Car Call today on the number above and compare our services to that of your insurance company after an accident.

Car Call independently assist thousands of people every year get their vehicles recovered from the roadside and repaired, in addition to provide replacement hire-vehicles and their legal assistance – after non-fault accidents.

We do this independently of your car insurance provider – so no claim is made on your policy for our service.

Get your car recovered and repaired using our alternative accident assistance service today, call 02392 484 244 and we will be happy to help.

Its too much hassle – I will just use my insurer

Firstly as, our customers soon discover – it’s dead easy!

Secondly, why claim on your car insurance when you will almost certainly still have to pay excess, and your insurer will also consider you to be ‘more of a risk’ to insure as well? This means the cost of your policy is likely to go up too.

Oh, and you can kiss goodbye to this years no-claims bonus as well.

Is claiming on your car insurance still a good idea?

Our alternative…

We and our manage the whole process for you – from start-to-finish.

From the recovery of your vehicle from the accident scene, to securing compensation for any injuries – we and our partners resolve the everything for you.

The cost of these services is recovered directly from the at-fault drivers insurer on your behalf when your claim is complete, and you are happy with the result.

  • Your vehicle is recovered and taken to one of our approved accident repair centres

  • No claim is made on your car insurance policy

  • There is no excess to pay

  • Your annual no-claims bonus is not affected

  • A comparable replacement hire-car is provided for the duration of your repairs

  • Damage is assessed by an independent automotive engineer

  • Your replacement vehicle is delivered to your home or place of work typically within 3 hours (if your vehicle is un-drivable) of accepting your claim

  • Your vehicle is repaired at one of our network of approved accident repair centres or at repair centre you choose yourself

  • Your accident repairs are fully guaranteed

  • Legal assistance is provided from our partner solicitors for the recovery of expenses, lost earnings or injury compensation claims

  • Costs are recovered directly from the insurance provider of the person at-fault

  • You receive 24/7 help and advice with your claim

For non-fault vehicle accident recovery without a claim on your insurance, call 02392 484 244 and we will be happy to help.

Any policyholder can use this service, and it is your legal right to choose who repairs your vehicle. All assistance offered, and information given on this page is provided by Car Call and its partners, no association or affiliation to any particular insurer is intended in any way, and your statutory rights are unaffected.

No need to claim on your insurance

Anyone who has been involved in a road accident has the right to choose who repairs their vehicle. If you were responsible for the accident you were involved in, the company that insures your vehicle would normally deal with your accident claim.

However if you were not at-fault for the accident, you can choose to either claim on your own insurance policy or make a claim independently of your insurer. To find out more call 02392 484 244 and we will be happy to help.

We and our partners help thousands of people make independent accident claims. Our service enables motorists to get the help and assistance they need to resolve their accident related issues, with the costs being recovered directly from the at-fault driver on your behalf.

No excess to pay

Unfortunately even if an accident was not your fault, your insurer will almost certainly require you to pay your excess before any repair is started on your car.

This money should of course be recovered by an insurer at a later date, but with our service - you do not have to pay it at all.

By using our independent claims service, you are not making a claim on your insurance policy and so you will have no excess to pay.

Receive a comparable replacement hire vehicle

Not all insurance policies will include a replacement hire-car for you to use if yours is damaged and unroadworthy. In fact it is typically an 'optional extra' on your policy.

Other policies may offer a 'courtesy car' but this is often just a 'basic' saloon or hatchback which may not be suitable for your needs.

Car Call and its partners will provide a comparable replacement vehicle as part of our service. This means we will endeavour to supply a hire-vehicle that similar to your own in terms of its type, make and engine size.

So whether you drive a small hatchback or a prestige sports car, we will look to provide a similar hire-vehicle that suits your needs.

Manufacturer approved vehicle repairs

If you have been involved in a car accident, the last thing you want to have to worry about is the quality of the repairs to your car. We have a UK wide network of partner approved Accident Repair Centres available to all of our customers.

Many of our accident repair centres are have manufacturer approvals for specific brands, so if you require a manufacturer approved repair centre, simply tell your personal claim handler and they will ensure your vehicle goes to an approved repairer.

Want you vehicle repaired by a specific garage? No problem, we can alternatively use a repairer that you specify.

Legal Assistance

Our partner solicitors provide legal assistance as part of our service. They specialise in motor claims related issues, so you can be assured of the best possible advice and assistance.

They issues they can assist you with include:

  • Recovery of the cost of the replacement hire-vehicle
  • Recovery of the cost of uplifting your damaged vehicle
  • Recovery of all repair costs
  • Recovery of the cost of damaged of personal items
  • Seeking financial compensation for an injury