Car accidents with drunk drivers

Thousands of accidents are caused by drunk drivers in the UK every year, so it's important for everyone to appreciate what they should do and where they stand regarding the law if they are unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident with a drunk driver.

Driving your car after consuming any amount of alcohol can affect your ability to drive safely and should of course be avoided. Driving safely requires you to be alert and aware of your surroundings at all times, any level of alcohol or fatigue will impair these faculties and the effects will also vary from one person to the next.

For the reasons outlined above we will not advise our visitors as to what is a 'safe' level of alcohol as we believe you should not drink at all when driving. If you want to avoid causing a drink driving related accident yourself, simply take a bus or taxi to your destination if you intend to consume alcohol.

If you do drink and drive and you are caught by the police, you could face a one year driving ban, a £5000 fine or up to six months in prison.

Having a car accident with a drunk driver

Unfortunately there will always be drivers who are foolish enough to get behind the wheel of a vehicle after a few drinks so it's a good idea to know exactly what to do if you have an accident with someone you believe may have been drinking.

If you have had an accident with someone you suspect has been drinking it is important that you call the police while you are at the scene. It is probably wise not to alert the other driver to this fact as it may aggravate what is already a stressful situation.

When the police arrive they will ask the driver to take a breath test if they believe your suspicions are correct. If the driver refuses they will take them directly to the police station and typically ask them to provide two specimens of breath for analysis. If the driver refuses to comply with this second request without a reasonable excuse, then they would be considered to have committed an offence.

As with any road accident you should always get details of the other driver or driver's involved and any witnesses to the accident. These details should include names, addresses, vehicle registration, make of the vehicle and it's colour. You should also of course find out the name of their insurers.

In addition to this basic information you should also take photographs of the damage to the vehicles, their positions on the road and make notes as well if possible. The police will also take this information when they arrive but it is in your interests to do this as well beforehand as it will help with your accident claim.

What happens regarding my accident claim?

You should always inform your claims advisor and/or your insurer as soon as possible after the accident.

If the other driver proves to be over the limit you are likely to have a very good case against them and your claims advisor or insurer should be able to recover the costs associated with your claim from the at-fault drivers insurer.

If the at-fault driver proves not to be insured your claims advisor or insurer may still be able to recover some of these costs from the Motor Insurers Bureau or the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board. Your claims advisor or insurer should be able to help in this situation.

If you have had a car accident that was not your fault, please give us a call us on 02392 484 244 . One of our experienced UK based claims advisors will be happy to assist you.

No need to claim on your insurance

Anyone who has been involved in a road accident has the right to choose who repairs their vehicle. If you were responsible for the accident you were involved in, the company that insures your vehicle would normally deal with your accident claim.

However if you were not at-fault for the accident, you can choose to either claim on your own insurance policy or make a claim independently of your insurer. To find out more call 02392 484 244 and we will be happy to help.

We and our partners help thousands of people make independent accident claims. Our service enables motorists to get the help and assistance they need to resolve their accident related issues, with the costs being recovered directly from the at-fault driver on your behalf.

No excess to pay

Unfortunately even if an accident was not your fault, your insurer will almost certainly require you to pay your excess before any repair is started on your car.

This money should of course be recovered by an insurer at a later date, but with our service - you do not have to pay it at all.

By using our independent claims service, you are not making a claim on your insurance policy and so you will have no excess to pay.

Receive a comparable replacement hire vehicle

Not all insurance policies will include a replacement hire-car for you to use if yours is damaged and unroadworthy. In fact it is typically an 'optional extra' on your policy.

Other policies may offer a 'courtesy car' but this is often just a 'basic' saloon or hatchback which may not be suitable for your needs.

Car Call and its partners will provide a comparable replacement vehicle as part of our service. This means we will endeavour to supply a hire-vehicle that similar to your own in terms of its type, make and engine size.

So whether you drive a small hatchback or a prestige sports car, we will look to provide a similar hire-vehicle that suits your needs.

Manufacturer approved vehicle repairs

If you have been involved in a car accident, the last thing you want to have to worry about is the quality of the repairs to your car. We have a UK wide network of partner approved Accident Repair Centres available to all of our customers.

Many of our accident repair centres are have manufacturer approvals for specific brands, so if you require a manufacturer approved repair centre, simply tell your personal claim handler and they will ensure your vehicle goes to an approved repairer.

Want you vehicle repaired by a specific garage? No problem, we can alternatively use a repairer that you specify.

Legal Assistance

Our partner solicitors provide legal assistance as part of our service. They specialise in motor claims related issues, so you can be assured of the best possible advice and assistance.

They issues they can assist you with include:

  • Recovery of the cost of the replacement hire-vehicle
  • Recovery of the cost of uplifting your damaged vehicle
  • Recovery of all repair costs
  • Recovery of the cost of damaged of personal items
  • Seeking financial compensation for an injury