I’ve had a car accident, can I get CCTV evidence?

Getting hold of CCTV (Closed Circuit Television) evidence following an accident can be very helpful to support your version of events following a car accident.

The use of CCTV or Security Cameras is very widespread these days. Cameras may be installed to monitor traffic or pedestrians in various locations for either road safety or security reasons.

If you have had a road accident, video evidence of the incident can be invaluable to help prove that you were not at fault. For free help and advice call us now on 02392 484 244.

Even if your accident took place several days ago it may be worth returning to the scene to see if there are any cameras in the vacinity that may have captured the accident as it happened. Security video data is often kept for weeks or even months after it has been recorded.

Under the Data Protection Act an individual is entitled to view any images of themselves that have been captured by a video recording device.

If you approach the operator of the camera, they should provide you with a copy of these images, although in some cases there may a charge for providing a copy.

Video taken by road traffic cameras should be obtained by contacting the local police, who should then be able to put you in touch with the relevant traffic control centre.

If you have had an accident and would like further information or advice about an accident claim, just call 02392 484 244 and one of our advisors will be happy to help.

No need to claim on your insurance

Anyone who has been involved in a road accident has the right to choose who repairs their vehicle. If you were responsible for the accident you were involved in, the company that insures your vehicle would normally deal with your accident claim.

However if you were not at-fault for the accident, you can choose to either claim on your own insurance policy or make a claim independently of your insurer. To find out more call 02392 484 244 and we will be happy to help.

We and our partners help thousands of people make independent accident claims. Our service enables motorists to get the help and assistance they need to resolve their accident related issues, with the costs being recovered directly from the at-fault driver on your behalf.

No excess to pay

Unfortunately even if an accident was not your fault, your insurer will almost certainly require you to pay your excess before any repair is started on your car.

This money should of course be recovered by an insurer at a later date, but with our service - you do not have to pay it at all.

By using our independent claims service, you are not making a claim on your insurance policy and so you will have no excess to pay.

Receive a comparable replacement hire vehicle

Not all insurance policies will include a replacement hire-car for you to use if yours is damaged and unroadworthy. In fact it is typically an 'optional extra' on your policy.

Other policies may offer a 'courtesy car' but this is often just a 'basic' saloon or hatchback which may not be suitable for your needs.

Car Call and its partners will provide a comparable replacement vehicle as part of our service. This means we will endeavour to supply a hire-vehicle that similar to your own in terms of its type, make and engine size.

So whether you drive a small hatchback or a prestige sports car, we will look to provide a similar hire-vehicle that suits your needs.

Manufacturer approved vehicle repairs

If you have been involved in a car accident, the last thing you want to have to worry about is the quality of the repairs to your car. We have a UK wide network of partner approved Accident Repair Centres available to all of our customers.

Many of our accident repair centres are have manufacturer approvals for specific brands, so if you require a manufacturer approved repair centre, simply tell your personal claim handler and they will ensure your vehicle goes to an approved repairer.

Want you vehicle repaired by a specific garage? No problem, we can alternatively use a repairer that you specify.

Legal Assistance

Our partner solicitors provide legal assistance as part of our service. They specialise in motor claims related issues, so you can be assured of the best possible advice and assistance.

They issues they can assist you with include:

  • Recovery of the cost of the replacement hire-vehicle
  • Recovery of the cost of uplifting your damaged vehicle
  • Recovery of all repair costs
  • Recovery of the cost of damaged of personal items
  • Seeking financial compensation for an injury